It’s quite easy to understand and see how a subluxation can be caused by physical stressors. A fall, a bump on the head, even sleeping in bad positions such as on the stomach. However, to understand how chemical stressors have such an impact on the spine can be a little more difficult to understand. Chiropractic has a philosophy of ‘inside out’, quite simply whatever you put in your body is what you get out of it. Another way of saying it ‘you are what you eat’. When the body is having to deal with toxins within its system these toxins put stress on the organs and on the connective tissue within the body. This connective tissue, your ligaments and tendons are what holds your joints into position. If your organs are under stress, they cause a negative feedback loop to the nervous system and to the spine effecting that area.
Therefore, it is vital that you give your body the ability to heal, not only so that you repair and get better but so that you can lead a vitalist life, one full of energy. Here are 5 top tips to reduce your chemical stressors.
1. Drink plenty of fully filtered water. Water in London gets recycled 7 times. When they clean the water with chlorine it only takes out the bacteria. Other substances that are in the water and not eliminated by chlorine are, pharmaceutical drugs and hormones, heavy metals, disinfectants, flame retardants and parasites. This leads to infertility, cancer, growth defects and miscarriages. Only a good quality water filter will take out all those toxins, not the sit on the bench in a container one (such as Brita).
2. Eat loads of organic fruit and veg. Some of the herbicides and pesticides remain in the food after its washed, especially the ones that don’t have a hard skin, such as berries, grapes, tomatoes, and leafy greens. Washing has little effect because most pesticides are designed to withstand rain. Health issues from the use of pesticides are vast but there are some, known to be carcinogenic, cause birth defects, infertility, respiratory paralysis, asthma, migraine, and IBS.
3. Heavy metals such as aluminium and mercury are the most common and prevalent. Aluminium comes from antiperspirant deodorants, cooking in foil, cooking in aluminium pans that are used for non-stick and the non-stick has been scratched. Aluminium causes dementia, neurodegenerative diseases such as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s Parkinson’s, and ALS. It also effects the nervous system and decreases antioxidants and causes cell death. Mercury from fillings, vaccinations, antiseptics, and contaminated fish (tuna). Mercury causes insomnia, irritability, impaired concentration, and neurodegenerative diseases.
4. Eat only organic free-range meat. When meat isn’t free range they have to fill them with antibiotics to keep them free from diseases and infections, this worsens your 6:omega:3 ratio. When you eat this meat, you are effectively consuming antibiotics as well which runs havoc on your digestive system and contributes to antibiotic resistance in humans.
5. Additives and preservatives from processed food is artificial and creates a toxic overload in your body. Therefore, you need an increased amount of nutrients to eliminate this overload, if that isn’t done it causes organ dysfunction.
These are just a few of the stressors that effect the spine. Can you think of any other chemical stressors that would affect your spine?